Friday, December 05, 2008

Change. Its time.

"How did it come to this?"
"So much death. What can men do against such reckless hate?"
- Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

"We should bomb Pakistan"
" We need a dictator"
"We should encounter all the so-called politicians and leaders"
"India is not safe, me off to some other better country"

These were all knee-jerk reactions. Reactions and not responses. Its been more than a week since the attack on Bombay. The anger has been given words, the hate against hate been expressed. Now, the real ordeal begins. 

I have been introspecting. I want things to change, for better.  I want to be an agent of change (not a Ray-ban wearing Agent Change, Mr Anderson!). Lighting candles, taking out protest march and voicing the angst is good. I am not denying that. It shows solidarity, it shows I care. 

Then what? How do I make myself accountable for the change? I want to internalize the process of this change. 

I have decided on 2-point steps that I want to follow now in my daily dealings.
1. F**k Mediocrity. The M word should not be my way of life.
2. Stay above board every time.

If I can get these right, I think it will be a good start. Rest, they will say in future, is history.

Reminds me of a sher that sums up my thoughts.

Khudi ko kar buland itna, 
ki har taqdeer likhne se pehle,
Khuda khud bande se yeh puche,
bata teri raza kya hain!

2 comments:

raoul said...

Questions:
1. How will your two-step agenda help in any way?
2. What is this board you want to stay above? white board? black board?
3. Whe you say fuck mediocrity (sorry, F**k mediority), do you mean you will not be mediocre anymore, or does it imply rhat you will not tolerate mediocrity in others?

Please to clarify.

Vishesh Agrawal said...

Answers
1. I think before I start telling the world how to behave or work, I should strive to bring my life and myself in order. That's where this may help. I may fail but won't know till I try.
2. Life is not white and black. But thanks for taking it literally.
3. I think its easy to complain about others' incompetence but difficult to deal with one own's.

Pleased to clarify.